Poetry Moves! With Emily
A walking celebration of poetry on the first Day of National Poetry Month in picturesque Sierra Madre.
WHERE: Various locations in Sierra Madre (begin and end at the Sierra Madre Playhouse)
Let us “walk you through some poems” on April 1st! We will take a mile-long poetry walk around Sierra Madre. Along the way there will be poetry “rest stops” where you can hear poems read out loud. Join the procession or a “Poetry Relay Team”!
Ways you can participate:
- Join a “Poetry Relay Team” – Form a team by contacting Diane Siegel – 818 366-8900 or email@example.com or join with others from the community who want to form a team. In groups of three, teams will walk together, taking turns reading poems while others act as “spotters” and listeners as you walk the mile-long course. In relay fashion, one member of the team will read a poem as you walk along. When they finish, they will hand the poems to the next reader on the team. The goal – to complete the course accompanied by poems read aloud. If you do it – you get a mile of walking and a mile of poetry. At the end of the course all relay team participants will receive an “Emily brown bag” with Emily’s favorite treat – black cake, a souvenir fan, a discount coupon for “The Belle of Amherst” and perhaps some other “Emily-like” surprises.
- Write a poem that can be posted on the route, or even end up on a bookmark! Email poems to diane.siegel@sierramadreplayho
- Read a poem out loud at one of the five special stops on the walk. Sign-up form below.
- Locations for the event are:
1. 11:20 sidewalk next to Sierra Madre Elementary – next to “Arts for All” tile mural just north of corner of Highland and Auburn
2.11:30 park bench corner of Bladwin and Grandview (NW corner
3.11:40 sidewalk SE corner of Laurel & Baldwin
4. 11:50 sidewalk SW corner of Baldwin & Highland
5. 11:55 tables at Kersting Court green triangle
- Meet “Emily Dickinson” – Take your picture with Emily/actress Ferrell Marshall or pose in our photo board.